Times and Word Bracket Challenge
2019 OFFICIAL GAME RULES
2019 OFFICIAL GAME RULES
NO PURCHASE, CONTRIBUTION OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
1. GAME: The Times and Word Bracket Challenge game (the "Game") begins with the announcement of the men’s college basketball tournament on Sunday, March 17, 2019 and shall end with the championship game on Monday, April 8, 2019 (the “Game Period”). From all eligible and valid entries received in connection with the Game, three (3) winners will be determined, as set out in paragraph 4 below. Participation in the Game is described, regulated and clarified by, and wholly subject to, the provisions of these official rules (“Official Rules”).
2. ELIGIBILITY: The Game is open only to individuals who, as of the beginning of the Registration Period (as defined below), (a) are legally residing, for purposes of all applicable state and federal tax laws, in one of the fifty (50) United States or the District of Columbia ("Eligibility Area"), (b) are eighteen (18) years of age or older and have reached the age of majority in the state of residence. The Game is VOID outside of the Eligibility Area and where otherwise taxed, prohibited or restricted. Only individuals meeting all eligibility requirements set forth in these Official Rules, who validly and properly register for the Game as set out in paragraph 3 below, may participate in the Game or win a prize (“Players”). One (1) entry per person. Additional entries from any individual using different e-mail addresses will be disqualified and destroyed. Each Player is required to indicate his/her acceptance to the Official Rules where indicated; provided, however, that any Player’s Registration or participation in the Game constitutes and is deemed such Player’s full and unconditional agreement to the Official Rules and any and all decisions of Webster-Kirkwood Times, Inc. (WKT) and any third-party judges, which are final and binding in all respects. Players agree to waive any right to claim ambiguity in the Game and/or these Official Rules.
3. HOW TO REGISTER: At any time before the Entry Deadline on March 21, 2019, 10 a.m. CST (the “Registration Period”), each Player must visit https://contest.timesnewspapers.com (the “Site”), and follow the registration instructions to register for the Game and acquire access to the Game portion of the Site (“Registration”). In connection with such Registration, each Player will select a unique user name and password, which shall be used by such Player in connection with Player’s Game play. Limit one (1) Registration per person. By registering each Player shall indicate his/her acceptance of these Official Rules, and provide the information requested in the official entry form, which includes Player’s name, e-mail address, state and telephone number. Players may receive promotional e-mails from WKT.
4. HOW TO PLAY/ACCRUE POINTS & WIN PRIZES: The Game will consist of the challenge in which Players will have the opportunity to predict winning basketball teams. To play the Game, at any time prior to the expiration of the applicable Entry Deadline on March 21, 2019, 10 a.m. CST, Player will log-in to the Site and fully complete one (1) entry for the challenge by selecting the team that Player thinks will win each basketball game matchup listed (each, a “Predicted Team”). In connection with each game, the Player will receive points for each Predicted Team designated in Player’s Entry that matches an actual winning team (a “Winning Team”). For purposes of the Game, Player’s cumulative number of points awarded during each Round shall be deemed such Player’s “Total Round Score.” There will be a total of six (6) Rounds. Rounds will be scored as follows:
Round 1 – 1 point per winning team.
Round 2 – 2 points per winning team.
Round 3 – 4 points per winning team.
Round 4 – 8 points per winning team.
Round 5 – 16 points per winning team.
Round 6 – 32 points per winning team.
Players may submit only one (1) Entry. Additional Entries from any individual, using different e-mail addresses or any other system of multiple entries, will be disqualified. Lost, late, illegible, incomplete or misdirected Round Entries are not eligible.
Determining Winners: Subject to these Official Rules, the individual Player (meeting the eligibility requirements) with the highest Total Score will be Winner (the “Challenge Winner”) subject to the applicable Tie-Breaking Procedure). Prizes will be awarded to the three Players with the highest Total Score.
Tie-Breaking Procedure: In the event of a tie between Players eligible to be a Challenge Winner, the applicable Winner will be determined by tie-breaking questions.
5. ODDS: The odds of winning any prize depends upon a Player’s selections, and the total number of valid and eligible entries received.
6. PRIZE AWARDING: Upon confirmation of eligibility and execution of requested eligibility and release documents, where legal, Winners will be awarded the prizes described in paragraph 4 above. All prizes will be awarded, if claimed. Prizes may not be combined with any other offer. Winners will be responsible for any and all federal, state, and local taxes incurred in winning and accepting any prizes and all other expenses incurred in winning and accepting the prizes. Dollar amounts are expressed in U.S. currency. Winners may receive an IRS 1099 form reporting the value of their prize. All gift certificates and/or gift cards awarded pursuant to this Game shall be subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable certificates and cards, and the laws and regulations of the Winner’s jurisdiction of residence. By accepting a prize, Winners waive the right to assert as a cost of winning their prize, any and all costs of redemption or travel to redeem the prize. It is the responsibility of Winner to make all necessary arrangements to redeem the prize, including any costs of travel, unless WKT otherwise agrees to deliver prize to Winner following identification of Winner and confirmation of eligibility. Any stated value of prizes represent WKT good-faith determination of the value of the prize, which estimation includes a calculation of the retail value plus any applicable service fees, costs, premiums or other additional amounts incurred in connection with the procurement and/or awarding of the applicable prize. All Winners will be initially identified, subject to eligibility, no later than on or about seven (7) business days following the date of the championship game, by WKT, whose decisions is final and binding. Winners will be notified by phone or e-mail on or about fourteen (14) business days following the Effective Date (“Notification”) and must respond to the Notification within ten (10) days of the date sent or his/her prize may be forfeited. WKT is not responsible for any change in a participant’s telephone number or e-mail address. Winners must provide positive identification to claim a prize. Winning and claiming a prize is contingent upon Winner’s provision of all information requested by WKT, in the Notification or otherwise, subject to applicable law, and upon Winner eligibility, validation and verification. All prizes must be redeemed by each Winner no later than fourteen (14) days following Notification. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of a Player or Winner, the individual who was, at the time of Registration, the documented registered holder of the e-mail account used in connection with Registration for the Game will be deemed the eligible Player or Winner, as applicable. It is the sole responsibility of the Player to notify WKT during the Game Period if his/her e-mail address or telephone number changes. Prizes are non-assignable and non-transferrable. In no event will more prizes be awarded than those listed above in paragraph 4. WKT reserves the right to substitute any prize with a prize or prizes of equal or greater value, in the event any stated prize becomes unavailable. If the initially selected Winner cannot be contacted within the specified period of time, is ineligible, fails to claim a prize, or if the prize is returned as undeliverable, the prize will be forfeited and an alternate Winner may be selected, in WKT’s sole discretion. For purposes of this Game, the alternate winner, if necessary, will be the Player with the next highest score immediately following that of the disqualified Player, as determined by and set forth in these Official Rules. Acceptance of a prize constitutes permission for WKT to the use of Winner’s name, likeness, statements, voice, opinions, biographical information and state of residence for promotional purposes in any media without notice, further payment, consideration, credit, or right of approval or review (except where void or prohibited by law). Winners may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility and liability release within ten (10) days of WKT request (except where void or prohibited by law).
7. TERMINATION OR DISQUALIFICATION: To cancel any Player’s participation in the Game, Player must send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting that his/her registration be terminated (“Notice of Termination”). Player’s Registration will be deemed terminated as of the date and time of WKT’s receipt of the Notice of Termination (“Termination”). Upon Termination, Player may not participate in the Game and any points accrued by Player will be forfeited. The use of robotic, automatic, macro, programmed or like methods (including without limitation the use of any promotion/game subscription, notification, entry or like sites or service that offers Game entry services "on behalf of" Player) is strictly prohibited. WKT is not responsible for lost, interrupted or unavailable network server or other connections, miscommunications, failed telephone or computer or telephone transmissions or technical failure, jumbled, scrambled or misdirected transmissions, other error of any kind whether human, mechanical or electronic problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer systems, servers, access providers, equipment, or software, failure of any e-mail or entry to be received for any reason, traffic congestion on the internet or at any website, or any other technical problems related to website entries or any combination of the foregoing, including any injury or damage to a Player's or any other person's computer. Persons found tampering with, hacking, illegally registering for or abusing any aspect of the Game will be immediately disqualified. If disqualified for any of the above abuses, WKT will immediately terminate that Player’s participation in the Game and future games or contests by WKT and Player will be ineligible to win or collect any prizes and must return any previously received prizes awarded in connection with the Game upon request. Players further acknowledge that the forfeiture of prize(s) and/or return of any prize(s) shall in no way prevent WKT from pursuing any remedies legally available in connection with such conduct. Any violation set out in this paragraph or other attempt to damage any website of WKT, or tamper with or undermine the legitimate operation of the Game, is a violation of these Official Rules, as well as any and all applicable criminal and civil laws. WKT reserves the right to seek remedies and damages from any Players or individuals acting in concert with any Player to the fullest extent permitted by law. In the event any portion of this Game is compromised by any virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes beyond the control of WKT, which, in the sole opinion of WKT, corrupts or impairs the administration, security, fairness or proper play of the Game, WKT reserves the right to modify, suspend or terminate the Game and the Game Winners will be determined from among all eligible Players and entries received, and based upon the applicable scores for such Players as of the date of the applicable action.
10. GENERAL INFORMATION: WKT reserves the right to modify the Official Rules at any time for the purposes of clarifying and effectuating how the Game should be played, how the Game will be scored, how Winners are determined, how tie-breaking procedures are applied, how unanticipated ties are resolved, and what prizes will be awarded. Any changes to the Official Rules will be reasonably made with the intention of not materially affecting the terms and conditions of the Game. In the event of inadvertent computer or operator error, the illegal or inappropriate activity of any Player or unrelated third party, the unanticipated application, failure or effect of Game mechanisms of play or individual components, software or hardware, any change in law, or force majeure events affecting the schedule(s) of registration, the accrual or calculation of points, Player entry, Rounds or entry deadlines, the determination or notification of Winners, the application of tie-breaking procedures, or the awarding of prizes, WKT reserves the right to modify, revise, add-to, nullify or utilize only in part the stated timing, commencement or termination of any round, period, series, field, entry or game period or schedule and/or, in its sole discretion, to implement substitute rounds, periods, series, fields, entry or game periods or schedules, or portions thereof, solely for purposes of conducting the Game in a fair and reasonable manner and determining Winners on an equal basis and without unfairly disqualifying otherwise eligible Players from winning prizes. All applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Any and all lawsuits or other disputes that arise relating to the Game must be filed within one (1) year of the last day of the Game Period. The failure of WKT to exercise or enforce any right or provision of the Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. If any part of the Official Rules is held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid or unenforceable, that part will be enforced to the maximum extent permitted by law and the remainder of the Official Rules will remain fully in force.
11. RULES AND WINNERS: To obtain another copy of the Official Rules or to obtain the names of the Winners, send a stamped self-addressed envelope to
Webster-Kirkwood Times, Inc.
122 W Lockwood Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63119